Life 101

By | July 28, 2014

This is not going to be a sexy post nor is this going to be a post extolling the virtues of being a Daddy Dom and the wonder of living a D/s lifestyle. This is going to be a very different post for me it is going to be rather personal.

I’m the oldest of three children, as Kayla said right out of the box after only knowing my mother for a mere few minutes as she put it I am  the prodigal son; I don’t see it but that is what babygirl says. Actually I am the only son, the first boy in a family of predominantly women and the older sibling of two younger sisters.

My middle sister L and I were always fairly close, as we grew older there was a bit of a drift. See when I reached my upper teens I became rebellious. I smoked cigarettes, I drank, and I smoked pot. My sister L would get on me about it constantly, she was the good girl, in her entire life she has never drank, never smoked, nor has she done drugs. Me I experimented, dropped acid, snorted coke, dealt drugs; I will say I look back at it now and it seems like a whole different person, a different world.

We are an Italian family, I can see those of you that understand nodding your head in understanding and those of you that have never had any interaction with a true NY Italian family wondering what it means.

We are loud, we are boisterous; a family gathering is chaotic, Kayla got a taste of it this past weekend where even a quiet family conversation seems like people are screaming and yelling; a couple times during the night she asked me if they were actually mad at one another or if it was just conversation. Oh and lots of food, a daily meal is five course, a simple family gathering can last well into the night with food and drink flowing almost endlessly.

Most people, myself included have this expectation of life, that other then the most of extreme cases, parents pass before their children and the oldest sibling will move on before the younger ones. It may seem a bit rose colored to some but then I was in my 20’s when my Great-grandparents passed and it was 4 years ago when my Grandmother slipped from this world.

Several weeks ago I got a call from my mom; she was traveling the northeast visiting family and escaping the summer heat of the southern clime. “Have you talked to L?” she asked. I told her I hadn’t, which isn’t all that unusual either for us to go through periods of not talking. Not out of any malcontent or anger but life, now if there were something happening and we needed one another look out because we would have one anther’s back with a ferocity to rival a Tasmanian Devil. So after talking and her telling me about her travels thus far it was determined that she was probably busy or she had gone off on another cruise or trip.

The next night my phone rang once more and it was my mom, expecting more tales of her travels I answered the phone. Her tone was hurried and filled with angst, L is in the hospital she said, she is anemic and her vitamin levels are down. My sister’s SO took her to the hospital and she was in the ER. The next morning I had the closing on my old property we had been waiting 3 months for this and it was already put on hold due to a storm.

It was decided I was going to go to the closing and take care of some other odd and end things left that needed to be done. My mother was going to look into returning home sooner then expected. I took care of my business that day and heard from my mom later, she would be arriving back home at 10:30 that night. I arranged to meet her at the airport.

I arrived to meet her to find out her flight was delayed and she didn’t step off the plane till after midnight. I drove her to my sisters house and helped her in with her bags. My sister was asleep on the sofa so we didn’t bother her and I headed home. Not getting much sleep that night I called off from work.

The next day my mom began taking my sister to her doctor appointments, she was anemic, not eating, weak, tired, low vitamin D, and at times excruciating abdominal pain. The doctor wanted tests, he wasn’t wasting any time; he scheduled her for several tests the next day. While there after one test they made her wait as the Doctor wanted her to have another. The weekend rolled around and she had an appointment with her Doctor on Tues. They got a call the Doctor wanted to see her on Monday instead.

That night my mom called me, they found what has been making her sick, she has colon cancer. She had an appoint the next day with an oncologist and then also a gastro doctor.

That news sent me into a tail spin, I’ve always been a fixer; if something is wrong you find a way to fix it and make it right. Now here is something I can’t fix. I went silent and began thinking everything over, sleeping hasn’t been easy either. Kayla was there for me she performed her tasks like a good girl, she was there with hugs and kisses, she reminded me we are in this together, and she made sure that when I was ready to talk that she is there for me.

It took me a few days and even some sexual healing on Kayla’s part but I came back out. We’ve been talking, I’ve been dealing, trying to understand.

L still has a ton more tests to undergo and we don’t know yet what the prognosis is but we are all taking it one day at a time. I am grateful Kayla is here with me, by my side. Being the “D” to her “s” has helped as I know I can’t let her down  and that her and the boys count on me and need me.